I’ve been waiting a long time for this one. For almost three years I’ve gotten nearly no resistance training. Why? Because I’ve long suspected it will impact my lipid numbers. And sure enough, during my endurance running phases, I observed data that appeared to confirm this.
Now the wait is over!
I hypothesize resistance training reduces LDL cholesterol due to higher endocytosis of LDL particles by non-hepatic tissues, this includes skeletal muscle for growth and repair.
From August 27th to September 10th (16 days), I will have the following routine:
- Meal Plan:
- Around 10 AM: Nathan’s Uncured All-Beef Hotdogs, two ounces of Colby
- Around 3 PM: Four hard boiled eggs, four ounces of Colby Jack cheese
- Around 8 PM: Three hard boiled eggs, four ounces of Colby Jack cheese
- I will be standing at my desk through working hours
- I will be walking around 2.5 miles per day in the afternoon, generally between 3pm and 8pm
- I will be traveling and doing errands outside the house as little as possible to control for confounders
- Daily testing:
- Morning glucose, BHB, weight, blood pressure readings
- Around 10 AM glucose and lipid readings
- Morning lipid readings from the day of the intervention (Sept 5th) until the end of the experiment (Sept 10th)
- Blood draws:
- Each blood draw will include Apolipoprotein A-1, Apolipoprotein B, C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac, CBC With Differential/Platelet, Comp. Metabolic Panel (14), Fatty Acids, Free (Nonester), Ferritin, Serum, Glucagon, IGF-1, Insulin and C-Peptide, Serum, Lipid Panel, Lp(a), Lp-PLA2 Activity, NMR LipoProfile, Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha
- The first blood draw will take place on September 5th just before the intervention
- The second blood draw will take place after one of two conditions, whichever comes first:
- The morning lipid reading shows a drop of more than 10% for LDL cholesterol against run-up baseline (if on a Sunday, to be carried over to the following Monday) or
- The last day of the experiment is reached
I will engage in a workout session with a Vibration Plate Power Plus. I will be working all upper body with the intent to become as sore as is reasonable without risk of injury. I will keep track of all time allotments and settings for data and potential reproducibility.
This will be performed:
- On Wednesday, September 5th at approximately 9 AM
- On Sunday, September 9th at approximately 9 AM