Here’s an experiment I never thought I’d do — and post I never thought I’d be writing!
As I’ve complained about a few times, my Capstone and Added Sugar experiments both put on belly fat and subq. Immediately after going back to keto, about 70% appeared to go away within days (much of that was likely water weight), but that remaining 30% took its sweet time. This likewise isn’t helped by my appetite always being higher in the wake of these experiments (shocker!). Put a pin in that for a moment…
The Road Ahead
For over two years, my wife and I planned to have a two-week hiatus from both her job and my research for our 10 year anniversary. We might travel, we might not — all the details aren’t fully worked out. But that’s not really the larger point for us.
Following this hiatus, I’ll have the biggest and busiest summer yet with no less than five speaking engagements over just three months! I also plan to expand our CC video library as well to provide better tools for beginners. Moreover, I have a lot of research and study behind-the-scenes that I hope to reveal to you soon. Stay tuned.
So needless to say, this hiatus is a kind of calm before the storm. Which led me to an idea.
Okay, pretend I truly do have the most wonderful wife in the world. Put yourself in her shoes as I ask, “Hey honey, would you mind if gain a lot of weight on our hiatus? It might help my research tremendously!” Pretty hot, huh?
The Unanswered Question
For those first seven and a half months I was on keto I gathered no bloodwork. Did my cholesterol change immediately or take a few months? As I built muscle and dropped adipose mass, were my lipoproteins moving into higher circulation? More to the point, did my LDL cholesterol track upward with my body fat going down on this low carb diet?
Those who follow my work know that is this is a common thing I identify as relevant with regard to whether you end up with higher cholesterol. It’s literally the “Lean” part of the Lean Mass Hyper-responder profile.
Originally, I felt this was pretty much the one part of my research I wouldn’t be willing to go. Regain the 35lbs I lost just to see what happens with my lipids? C’mon!
Nevermind. I guess I’ll continue to surprise myself with what I’m willing to do to get even more quality data.
So for the next few weeks, I’m planning to get myself north of 200lbs, preferably 205-210lbs. At 6’3, that will put me at a BMI of 25.6-26.2. And yes, I’m actually shooting more for fat, not muscle.
Once I get there, I will do the following:
- Take wide spectrum blood tests (Lab and CardioChek)
- Go back on keto and do frequent lipid tests for the following weeks (CardioChek) with some blood tests (Lab and CardioChek)
- I plan to have a diet high enough in calories that I don’t lose weight too quickly, lest that confound my lipid numbers.
- I may do a more restrictive meal plan for even better variable isolation, but I’m not committing to that yet.
- Depending on my existing funds, I may be taking dexa scans throughout as well.
- Once I’ve dropped down to mid 180s in weight or lower, I’ll do further wide spectrum testing (Lab and CardioChek) to determine if the relative difference is shown post-experiment as well.
Even if Small, This is a Risk
Let me be very clear about this: I DO NOT recommend anyone else do this. Indeed, in order for me to accomplish this, I’ll be intentionally having large amounts of carbs and fat together, spiking my insulin and attempting to keep it at a higher basal level to ensure greater fat storage. In other words, I’m inducing a certain degree of the very thing I associate with modern western disease: hyperinsulinemia.
Obviously, this is a short-term experiment and I don’t consider this a serious enough risk or I wouldn’t do it. But that isn’t to say I think of it as risk-free. I may find it much harder to return to the previous weight and/or body composition. I may build worse health or eating habits than I had before. And as always, there could be any number of other variables I’m not accounting for because I just don’t know about them.
Testing the Bodyfat Hypothesis
I hypothesize that once I’ve returned to the keto diet my relative LDL cholesterol will be lower when compared to my lower weight and less overall adipose mass. The longer explanation for that I’ll leave to my other posts for now.