In the near future, I hope to have a means of ordering cheap, private blood labs through this website for those who live near a Labcorp. Moreover, I want to incentivize everyone to consider sharing their labs back to our data pool anonymously.
Here’s how it would work
- We’d have an Order Labs section on this website where you’d add them much like a shopping cart.
- If you further agree, we’d give a special discount for additionally answering a few questions along with submission of your labs to the data pool anonymously. These questions would be similar to “what diet do you follow?” and “how long have you been on (specified diet)?”, etc. This anonymous pool of data would be updated in batches and made available to the community at no cost.
- Obviously, my greatest incentive to get involved with this is the potential for extraordinary data growth! This could go a long way to helping us get very strong numbers for analysis in the community.
- There will be a margin built into the price, even if very small — and this could be beneficial to doctor and/or myself.
- This margin is to be first maintained in case of problems or unexpected costs.
- The ordering doctor will be obligated to follow up on unusual labs and thus will be compensated out of this margin for time required.
- Any remaining margin will go to offsetting the cost of my own labs.
- If this margin grows to the point of actually exceeding the costs of (a), (b), and (c) — I’ll disclose that directly in a future post. (But I actually doubt it given how small the margin is and how large my total lab costs are.)
It’s worth emphasizing that the money collected for these labs goes directly to the ordering doctor, not to me or a company entity I’m in any way connected to. So effectively, I’m just letting this site set up the lab options and offer a discount if one agrees to provide more data, then handing it off to the Doctor’s PayPal to fulfill the order.
(Again, I do not accept any money from any business or affiliate of any kind and will let everyone know if that changes.)
Let me state plainly that I only want to do this if it doesn’t become a big bandwidth drain. The added data will be great, but if it ultimately results in a lot of admin and footwork time due to how small our margins are, we may have to make adjustments to accommodate. And if that happens and eventually the pricing looks like it will be close to what is offered online, then I’d probably just pass on it altogether. I only want to do this if (1) our labs are substantially cheaper and (2) we get great community data from this. (If I wanted to start another business primarily for money, I’d just do so with my software devs and make far better returns for time spent.)
When is it coming?
Soon! I can make no commitments of timing. I’ll be doing the beta with my Patreon at first, but only after thorough testing will we open the doors here to ensure we can handle the volume!